top of page
National Library of Scotland, Causewayside
Value: £3.5 million
Catcastle Buff Sandstone
The National Library of Scotland, Causewayside Building
The National Library of Scotland located on George IV Bridge in Edinburgh has been a copyright library since 1710 meaning that it has the right to claim a copy of every work published in the UK. Due to the ever-increasing range of publications, expansion was necessary and in 1980 works commenced on a new building at Causewayside. The award-winning design by Andrew Merrylees Associates was completed in 1994 and utilised sandstone from the especially re-opened Newbigging Quarry near Burntisland in Fife.
In 2014 the NLoS appointed Graham Construction to undertake the re-clad of the building’s roof, rain screen cladding, glazing and stonework because of "widespread air and water leakage due to deteriorating materials, poor workmanship, and complexity of design".
Stirling Stone Ltd were appointed to carry out the careful removal of the existing stone cladding and in association with the design team, improve on interface detailing to alleviate the historical issues whilst maintaining the original award-winning design. The complicated contemporary design resulted in a substantial quantity of “one-off” complex geometrical stones requiring bespoke fixings, which were all designed in house.
We completed the installation of the cladding to our usual high standards and the resultant building represents the original design finished to the highest quality.
bottom of page